Saturday, April 3, 2010

Chais and Chats

I made it. I am officially in San Francisco and although I've been here a million times, it's different this time because I am here for me. I am not here to visit someone. I am not here for a vacation. I have no return ticket.

I can't help but flash back to my first day in Sydney all those months ago. I have no idea what I'm going to do here. I don't know where I'll be living. I wonder what kind of people I'm going to meet, who will change my life in some way.

I'm very content with my first day so far. Although notably colder than Sydney, San Diego, and Honolulu, it is not raining. I'm properly layered and am currently sitting in the sunny and charming Caffe Capriccio. I am so happy to have found a place that has a great soy chai latte and GOOD coffee. I'm kind of a coffee snob and coming back to the states really had me dreading the change in coffee culture. I think I'll be okay. SF's got my back.

First impressions are pretty entertaining. I'm surrounded by typical San Franciscans. The couple to my left has been having delicate conversations about their relationship. Both are wearing glasses and are attractive in a plain, subtle way. They started off holding hands in the middle of the table and speaking quietly. The woman looked sad and contemplative. The mood seemed to lighten when their food came (mental note: I must get the granola next time!). I was able to hear them discussing their sleeping habits. The man is doing most of the talking. He's telling her how much he likes sleeping next to her. The couple to my right is not as solemn, but they also seem to be having a serious discussion. The woman was reading the man an excerpt from an artsy looking book when they sat down and I've overheard parts of a philosophical conversation sprinkled with words like "zen" and "energy." They're talking about all kinds of things- family dynamics, attraction and compatibility, high school, feelings of success; every topic decorated with colorful metaphors and deep reflection and analysis. Love it.

Oh San Francisco, how much I will learn from you. The fun we will have. I'm looking forward to our time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment