Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day Four- Hey Soul Sister

DAY FOUR

quote of the day: "A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles." -Tim Cahill

today's destination: Regent Street, Paddington, Sydney, NSW

I received a text message at 6:45 this morning from my dear friend, Cass in Australia. I decided to dedicate this blog post to her and our experiences living together in Sydney.

First Impressions
Looking at several apartments and houses trying to find a place to settle in my new city, I had my share of interesting encounters. Plenty of nice people, but there weren't any with whom I particularly clicked. Cass was the one who answered the door at the share house on Regent Street... in a towel... dripping wet. Looking back, this was the perfect introduction because Cass is one of the most honest, uncensored, and approachable people I know. Luckily, the other four flatmates were lovely as well and I immediately agreed to move in.

Kindred Spirits
Right away, I knew Cass and I would be great friends. We balanced each other in a way that I don't think we even realized until we established this great friendship. And as much as we like to talk, it was one of those unspoken things. I found a sister in my sister city.

Tourists in Her Own Town
One thing Cass would constantly tell me was how me moving to her home made her recognize how much she loves it. She was ecstatic showing me around and introducing me to the Sydney she knows. She was as fascinated as I was about the differences between our cultures and loved learning from one another. We fed off of each other's excitement of Sydney. She would play hookie on a sunny Friday to take a ferry with me. She came home early from work to help me prepare a traditional Thankgiving dinner and I got to experience my first summer Christmas at her family's house. She also took advantage of her holiday time and we road tripped up the coast of NSW to Byron Bay, where we set up camp, got tattoos, and I learned how to drive a manual. :)


Helping Hands
When I stopped working, Cass found a smaller apartment and offered for me to stay there rent-free so that I could save money to travel. For this I am forever grateful and I can't wait to return the favor someday...

I can't guarantee that everyone will meet a Cass while tripping, but I hope that they do meet people that add balance and depth to their lives in some way, enjoy where they are at that moment, and lend a helping hand with even the smallest gesture. Whether a tripper or a host, there are never enough ways to appreciate and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment